Supporters of a proposed Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) terminal in Oregon are at it again, hoping the third time’s a charm. Twice, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) has ruled that Jordan Cove is not in the public interest. Now, FERC is stacked with Trump appointees. Could the already rejected terminal and Pacific Connector natural gas pipeline be headed for approval? There are plenty of reasons why this project would be a bad deal for Oregon and the climate.
To find out more, check out this excellent video from animator and digital artist Kelly Jensvold. Jordan Cove will become the state’s worst carbon polluter, with more than 36.8 million metric tons of CO2 equivalent a year. The project will easily bypass the Boardman Coal Plant on greenhouse gas emissions — by more than 15 times! This is a chance to stop dangerous climate-changing pollution right here in Oregon. As you can see in Kelly’s video, the CO2 emissions are just one of many reasons the Jordan Cove project should not be built.
Fortunately, there are many things we can do at the state level to oppose this project. The following suggestions come courtesy of the folks at Rogue Climate.
- Contact members of the State Land Board to voice your concerns. They are as follows:
- Governor Kate Brown at http://www.oregon.gov/gov/Pages/share-your-opinion.aspx
- Secretary of State Dennis Richardson at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer Tobias Read at email@example.com
- Pledge to submit comments to the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) when they consider a Clean Water Act permit for Jordan Cove and the Pacific Connector Pipeline. This link is also from Rogue Climate’s website.
Join a local Portland group fighting Jordan Cove:– 350PDX Fossil Fuel Resistance Team (Next team meeting is May 24th.)– Stop Fracked Gas PDX
- Join the coalition and help stop the Jordan Cove project
We can work together to stop this dangerous and unnecessary project from going forward. Join us in the fight!
Written by: Brent Swanson