Volunteer & Communications Coordinator
350PDX’s mission is to build a diverse grassroots movement to address the causes of climate disruption through justice-based solutions by inspiring, training and mobilizing people to act. We are a relatively young, dynamic, volunteer-driven grassroots organization with thousands of supporters. We regularly engage hundreds of people to volunteer and/or take action. Our work is significant — the nation and world need compelling examples of communities that are addressing climate disruption head-on through bold and creative measures that bring diverse people together at a time of divisiveness and insufficient state and federal action.
350PDX is seeking a skilled Volunteer & Communications Coordinator to support and organize our growing base of volunteers, and to spearhead external communications.
Oversight: This position reports to the Executive Director.
Location: This position will work primarily out of the 350PDX office in NE Portland, Oregon.
Compensation: This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary range is $3,120 – $3,467 per month ($37,440 – $41,600 annually). Benefits include generous PTO, flexible work hours, and a wellness stipend.
Start Date: The start date is flexible, however a first day of August 13th is desired.
Responsibilities will include:
Volunteer recruitment, orientation, and engagement
- Coordinate volunteer program, working closely with staff & team leads to engage, empower, and support volunteers according to their skills and interests
- Develop and implement training and leadership development programs for volunteers, in collaboration with relevant staff and team leads.
- Identify and develop new volunteer opportunities as needed to support 350PDX functions and campaigns. Promote volunteer opportunities both internally and externally.
- Provide general support for volunteers; coordinate and staff regular drop-in office hours at the 350PDX office for volunteers; Serve as the point person for incoming volunteers conduct orientations. and connect them with teams or projects.
- Conduct volunteer program evaluation and implement improvements
- Ensure that all volunteers and volunteer activities are tracked in database, and make process improvements as needed
- Oversee and support interns in communications and community organizing roles
Team & Team Leader Support
- Plan and facilitate Leadership Council meetings and General Meetings
- Provide general, on-going support to Team Leaders, including formal ‘check ins’ with team leads on a regular basis, and distributing ‘Team Leaders Handbook’
- Provide organizing resources and guidance on campaigns and strategies, and connect team members with relevant partners and trainings as appropriate
- Support Teams in developing annual action plans and budgets that align with 350PDX’s strategic plan
- Support team leads in tracking and reporting team activities, ensuring that the appropriate systems and procedures are utilized Provide training as needed
- Recruit new Team Leaders and other volunteers to fill specific gaps as needed
- Coordinate outreach & tabling
- Coordinate and oversee external communications, including email blasts, social media, web content, press relations, etc. Ensure website is kept current, and support teams in updating their pages.
- Work with relevant staff and communications team to develop and implement organization-wide communications plan, and digital organizing strategy
- Support Communications volunteer team.
Grassroots Mobilizations and Actions
- Assist in organizing mass actions or events, when appropriate
- Assist with rapid response to emerging situations, as necessary
General and Administration
- Assist with fundraising and reporting related to volunteer organizing and communications
- Participate in organization-wide Diversity, Equity and Inclusion work
- Participate in staff meetings and regular meetings with supervisor
- Develop process / procedures manuals where appropriate
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated interest, understanding and commitment to climate justice and/or social justice
- 2+ years of experience writing, managing, and executing external communications in a professional setting
- 2+ years of experience engaging and empowering volunteers
- Detail oriented, with strong organization and project management skills
- Ability to plan effectively, meet deadlines and coordinate others’ involvement within a dynamic and fast-paced setting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills including the ability to quickly learn new software and technology platforms
- Resourceful, flexible and self-motivated
- Experience working with culturally diverse groups / communities
- Grassroots organizing skills and experience
- Campaign management skills and experience
- Experience developing communications plans and/or digital organizing strategies
- Familiarity with communities and organizations in Portland
- Experience utilizing and/or managing volunteer databases (i.e., NationBuilder)
- Ability to speak Spanish, or other languages commonly spoken in Portland
- Experience organizing direct actions
Send a detailed resume and cover letter (not exceeding 2 pages each or 4 pages total) in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “Volunteer & Communications Coordinator” when applying. Applications received by July 22nd will be given priority consideration.
350PDX is committed to being an inclusive and collaborative group that values bringing a diversity of approaches and perspectives to the work we do. We try to build a workplace where everyone is treated fairly and enjoys working together. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and members of communities on the frontlines of climate change are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.
If you have suggestions for us, we really value your input and strongly encourage you to write to us at email@example.com with the subject line ‘Hiring Feedback’.