350PDX is building a diverse grassroots movement to address the causes of climate disruption through justice-based solutions by inspiring, training and mobilizing people to act. We are a relatively young, dynamic, volunteer-driven grassroots organization with thousands of supporters that regularly engages hundreds of people to volunteer and/or take action.
Our work is significant — the nation and world need compelling examples of communities that are addressing climate disruption head-on through bold and creative measures that bring diverse people together at a time of divisiveness and insufficient state and federal action.
350PDX seeks a new Executive Director, or two individuals acting as a Co-Director Team, to lead our organization as we move into our next phase of growth. 350PDX was founded in 2013 and has grown rapidly to become a leader in local and regional climate activism. We view everyone (volunteers, board, and staff) in 350PDX as climate justice activists. We are looking for someone to help us in our transition to a mature organization as we pursue climate justice. This leader will have primary responsibility for the health of the organization. They will also work in partnership with all activists to set a plan to achieve the cultural and structural goals of the organization as we move towards more inclusive and distributed leadership. We anticipate that the responsibilities of this role could shift in the future as part of this process.
Job Type: .9 – 1.0 FTE, starting 1.0 FTE salary range of $53,000 to $60,000
Co-Directors would be expected to job-share, with their combined hours equaling 1.0-1.2 FTE and a starting 1.0 FTE salary range of $53,000 to $60,000
Some evening and weekend hours will be required.
Benefits include: generous PTO, wellness stipend
- Lead the ongoing shift in organizational culture to help us better live our values
- Develop strong, collaborative partnerships and coalitions
- Cultivate financial resources to support the organization
- Collaboratively develop and implement a strategic plan to achieve the goals of the organization
- Oversee core operational and administrative functions (e.g. operations, staff management/development, volunteer management)
- Inspire our community to achieve our climate justice goals
- Represent 350PDX externally within the community
- Leadership skills of emotional intelligence, ability to influence, humility, clear communication, and team building
- Ability to welcome and empower others in our collective work
- Ability to lead an organization in ongoing cultural and structural change
- Ability to delegate responsibilities and leadership while also maintaining a strong culture of accountability
- Ability to lead collaborative development of organizational strategies to achieve our goals
- Skill in facilitating open and safe conversations where all perspectives can be heard and appreciated, and where conflict is resolved in a healthy way
- Experience in modeling a culture of respect, transparency, empathy, mutual understanding, and connection
- Cultural competency and responsiveness, with an understanding and appreciation of diverse cultures and communities
- Ability to plan effectively, meet deadlines, and coordinate others’ involvement within a dynamic and fast-paced setting
- Demonstrated success in managing human resources, and supporting employees to achieve results and reach professional development goals with work/life balance
At least one of the following qualifications is required; all are desirable:
- Experience with fund development, including donor campaigns and major donor cultivation, events, sponsorships, and grant-seeking
- Experience with strategic planning
- Experience with financial management and budgeting
- Experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives
- Experience with front line communities, those most impacted by climate change
- Proven ability to implement, support, and evaluate programs and campaigns
Please email email@example.com with a resume and cover letter, outlining your skills, experience and motivation for the position. Please have your cover letter include answers to:
- Why is our mission important to you?
- What would you bring to the position of Executive Director (or as a Co-Director Team)?
- What is your experience with front line communities?
Use the subject line “Executive Director” when applying. Please limit your resume and cover letter to a maximum of 2 pages each. If you have questions about this position, please submit them via email to the email address above. Applications received by February 13th will be given priority consideration.
First Round of Interviews: 2/25 – 3/8
Hiring Decision: end of March
Instructions for Co-Director Applicants
In addition to submitting individual resumes and cover letters, candidates applying as Co-Directors are invited to submit a proposal (max 2 pages) detailing your shared vision for division of roles and responsibilities between co-applicants.
350PDX is committed to being an inclusive and collaborative group which values bringing a diversity of approaches and perspectives to the work we do. We try to build a workplace where everyone is treated fairly and enjoys working together. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and members of communities on the frontlines of climate change are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.
If you have suggestions for us, we really value your input and strongly encourage you to write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Hiring Feedback’.