Campaign & Action Organizer
350PDX’s mission is to build a diverse grassroots movement to address the causes of climate disruption through justice-based solutions by inspiring, training and mobilizing people to act. We are a relatively young, dynamic, volunteer-driven grassroots organization with thousands of supporters. We regularly engage hundreds of people to volunteer and/or take action. Our work is significant — to address climate disruption head-on through bold and creative measures that bring diverse people together at a time of divisiveness and insufficient state and federal action.
350PDX is seeking a skilled organizer to support and guide our volunteer teams in the planning and implementation of campaigns and actions that further the mission of 350PDX. While this position will work broadly across all 350PDX campaigns, fossil fuel resistance work will be the primary focus.
Oversight: This position reports to the Executive Director.
Location: This position will work primarily out of the 350PDX office in NE Portland, Oregon.
Compensation: This is a 0.70 FTE position (28 hours per week), paid hourly in the range of $18 – $19.60 per hour. Benefits include paid time off, flexible work hours, and a wellness stipend.
Start Date: The start date is flexible, however our preferred start date is March 25th.
Responsibilities will include:
Fossil Fuel Resistance Organizing
- Provide organizing and coordinating support to the Fossil Fuel Resistance team
- Mobilize volunteer activists to attend rallies and hearings, participate in public comment periods, organize direct actions, etc. in order to stop new fossil fuel infrastructure
- Organize campaigns and actions to reduce reliance on fossil fuels, including engagement in regulatory processes for Portland area utilities
- Work with partners, volunteer activists, and local officials to promote state and local policies that restrict new fossil fuel infrastructure and move us toward a just transition to 100% renewable energy
- Represent 350PDX in related coalitions and advisory groups
Campaign & Volunteer Support
- Provide ongoing support and guidance to all 350PDX campaign teams, and assist campaign teams in developing action plans
- Develop and implement trainings for volunteer activists as appropriate, in collaboration with relevant staff and team leads
- Compose campaign communication materials as needed, including emails, social media posts and toolkits
- Maintain a current working knowledge of climate change issues and related social, political, legislative, regulatory and economic frameworks, and serve as a resource in this regard to 350PDX staff and volunteers when appropriate
- Ensure that all events and volunteer activities are tracked in database
- Conduct evaluation of campaigns, actions and trainings
- Oversee and support interns in campaign and organizing roles when applicable
Grassroots Mobilizations and Actions
- Lead 350PDX’s organizing of mass actions or events in collaboration with relevant staff and volunteers
- Assist with rapid response to emerging situations, as necessary
General and Administration
- Participate in staff meetings and regular meetings with supervisor
- Assist with fundraising and reporting related to campaigns & actions
- Participate in organization-wide Diversity, Equity and Inclusion work
- Develop process / procedures manuals where appropriate
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated interest, understanding and commitment to climate justice and social justice
- Working knowledge of climate change issues and related social, political, legislative, regulatory and economic frameworks
- 2+ years of experience organizing campaigns and/or political actions
- 2+ years of experience engaging and empowering volunteers
- Detail oriented, with strong organization and project management skills
- Ability to plan effectively, meet deadlines and coordinate others’ involvement within a dynamic and fast-paced setting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills including the ability to quickly learn new software and technology platforms
- Resourceful, flexible and self-motivated
- Experience organizing direct actions
- Experience working with culturally diverse groups / communities
- Grassroots organizing skills and experience
- Experience with digital organizing strategies
- Familiarity with communities and organizations in Portland
- Experience utilizing and/or managing volunteer databases (i.e., NationBuilder)
- Ability to speak Spanish, or other language commonly spoken in Portland
Send a detailed resume and cover letter (not exceeding 2 pages each or 4 pages total) in pdf format to email@example.com. Please use the subject line “Campaign & Action Organizer” when applying. Applications received by Tuesday, March 5th will be given priority consideration.
350PDX is committed to being an inclusive and collaborative group that values bringing a diversity of approaches and perspectives to the work we do. We try to build a workplace where everyone is treated fairly and enjoys working together. People of color, and of all genders, sexualities, ethnicities and abilities, and particularly members of communities on the frontlines of climate change, are welcome and encouraged to apply.
If you have suggestions for us, we really value your input and strongly encourage you to write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Hiring Feedback’.