We are currently hiring for the following position, beginning in February 2021.
Please send resume plus cover letter to email@example.com with subject line ‘Development Manager position’ to apply!
350PDX’s mission is to build a diverse grassroots movement to address the causes of climate disruption through justice-based solutions by inspiring, training and mobilizing people to act. We are a relatively young, dynamic, volunteer-driven grassroots organization with thousands of supporters. We regularly engage hundreds of people to volunteer and/or take action. Our work is significant — the nation and world need compelling examples of communities that are addressing climate disruption head-on through bold and creative measures that bring diverse people together at a time of divisiveness and insufficient state and federal action.
The Development Manager serves as a key member of the Staff Collective and will organize our fund development efforts, supporting 350PDX’s staff collective, volunteers and Board of directors in raising the financial support necessary to sustain our growing organization by creating annual multi-year fundraising strategies. The Development Manager is responsible for curating a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization and finding innovative ways to elevate 350PDX’s mission and programs by building community and donor cultivation. Position also entails financial oversight with regards to reconciliation of various accounts, giving channels and CRM maintenance.
Oversight: This position reports to Board and Staff Collective
Location: This position will work remotely and out of the 350PDX office in NE Portland, Oregon.
Compensation: This is a full-time (32 hours/week) position. $40 -$50,000 DOE. Benefits include generous PTO, flexible work hours, professional development funds, and $300 towards company health insurance.
General Responsibilities for all Staff Collective Managers:
- Works within peer management accountability structure to cultivate and maintain a culture of feedback, continuous improvement, and performance correction, as needed. Collaborates with peers and Personnel Team to set clear expectations and correct performance issues as needed by providing and receiving timely, clear, candid, actionable feedback in the moment and in regular peer management meetings.
- Supports the recruitment and selection of staff and volunteers. Maintains familiarity with equitable hiring practices and targeted recruitment.
- Supports the development and implementation of an organization-wide strategic plan; help facilitate the updating of teams’ and 350PDX’s Strategic Road Map.
- Supports organization-wide grassroots fundraising efforts; upholds a culture that celebrates and elevates fundraising.
- Maintains a working knowledge of climate change issues and related social, political, legislative, regulatory and economic frameworks. Stays up to date on recent developments.
Development Manager Specific Responsibilities will include:
- Plan and execute securing funds from individual donors
- Plan, coordinate, and execute fundraising initiatives in collaboration with staff and board members, as determined by fundraising strategy
- Sustainer, summer, and year-end appeals
- Writing content for mail, email and social media campaigns
- Generate periodic reports on campaign progress and effectiveness
- Coordinate donor appreciation and sending of thank you letters
- Ensure proper file management of campaigns and assets in Google Drive
- Assist in maintaining proper documentation of programmatic efforts (i.e. case statement, white letters, testimonials)
- Secure business support for fundraising events and campaigns, including sponsorships and in-kind donations
- Ensure that all contributions, donors, and development activities are recorded and tracked in database
- Work with staff to recruit and engage volunteers in fundraising activities
- Work with staff and comms team to coordinate development and programic communications
- Assist in planning and coordination of fundraising events and house parties
- Ensure proper legal and financial operations of checks and mailed donations
- Filing, reporting, and deposits
- Ensure proper CRM maintenance
- Cultivation notes for donors and volunteers
- Group and segment creation for effective supporter targeting, campaign reporting, and appeal demographics
- Maintain fundraising pages and assist in data entry / revenue reconciliation
- Additional duties include:
- Assist with grant-seeking and grants administration
- Assist in strategic planning for fundraising and organizational development
- Develop process / procedures manuals where appropriate
- Other duties, as needed
- i.e. participation in Network Council, JEDI Committee, Volunteer Team Management
- Experience with justice and equity planning, policies, and practices. Commitment to dismantling systems of oppression that fuel the climate crisis and to understanding one’s own role as an individual in systems of privilege and power. Commitment to self and community care, including practices of stress management.
- Detail-oriented, with strong organization and project management skills. Ability to plan effectively, meet deadlines and coordinate others’ involvement within a dynamic and fast-paced setting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Demonstrated capability to exercise sound judgment and conduct one’s self in opposition to white supremacy culture, including when dealing with the public and with difficult situations. Demonstrated experience with equitable meeting facilitation.
- Demonstrates digital literacy including basic understanding of database management, maintenance, and digital filing standards. Experience utilizing and/or managing volunteer databases (i.e., Salsa)
- Demonstrated understanding of basic financial management including budgeting, funding sources, expenditures, and practices for maintaining financial solvency.
- Experience drafting and implementing proposals and plans along with stakeholders using a collaborative decision-making model. Experience or interest in using consensus-based decision-making.
- 1-2 years experience in nonprofit management or fund development and coordinating or supporting an individual donor campaign and writing mission driven fundraising content
- Detail oriented, with strong organization and project management skills
- Ability to plan effectively, meet deadlines and work collaboratively within a dynamic and fast-paced setting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills including the ability to quickly learn new software and technology platforms, experience with database systems and CRM management
- Resourceful, flexible and self-motivated
- Positive, creative attitude; strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated Interest in climate justice, and commitment to the mission of 350PDX
- Skill and experience with digital organizing and communications
- Proficiency in web content management, social media, e-marketing tools
- Experience in grant writing and reporting
- Familiarity with the local philanthropic communities
- Experience with events management and foundation relations
350PDX is committed to being an inclusive and collaborative group which values bringing a diversity of approaches and perspectives to the work we do. We build a workplace where everyone is treated fairly and enjoys working together. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and members of communities on the frontlines of climate change are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.