Social Media Intern
The Social Media Intern (intern) will assist the Volunteer and Communications Manager (supervisor) with the development and implementation of a social media plan.
350PDX is building a diverse grassroots movement to address the causes of climate disruption through justice-based solutions by inspiring, training and mobilizing people to act. In our short five-year history, we’ve grown to a core group of 250+ activists working in coordinated teams, to build a movement for justice-based climate action at local and state levels. We’re growing our collective power and have seen an incredible surge in momentum for bold climate action in Portland and Oregon.
This is an unpaid volunteer position. This ten-week internship requires a commitment of 100 total hours, distributed as 8-10 hours per week, from late Feb/early March through May (dates are somewhat flexible).
The intern will perform their volunteer work at the 350PDX office during regular work hours or may work remotely. The intern is expected to attend a weekly staff & intern meeting (on Tuesday morning 10.00am-11:30am), and a weekly check-in with the supervisor.
Primary Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Manage the 350PDX social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Assist the supervisor in developing a social media guidelines for volunteers
- Assist the supervisor in creating a volunteer-led social media team
- Develop a social media campaign for Earth Day 2020 – the 50th anniversary of Earth Day
- Develop an understanding of the mission, strategies and workings of 350PDX
- Develop an understanding of the communications needs of 350PDX
- Strategize and complete an Communications Strategy / Plan based on a template, and with support and collaboration from the supervisor, staff and other volunteers
- Develop an understanding of climate justice, and JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion) principles, and implement these into our social media
- Additional projects as needed
Skills You May Learn or Develop:
- Social media management
- Content creation
- Practical implementation of the science of communications (e.g. values / framing)
- Strategy development / strategic and systems thinking
- Public outreach
- JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion) principles and practices
- Leadership skills
- Goal setting
- Time management
- Commitment and passion for climate justice
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to perform well independently and in a flexible environment
- Must be computer / social media savvy
- Spanish language fluency
- Desire for systemic change
- Prior experience with grassroots and/or student organizing
- Graphic design skills
Apply online here.