Fall Development Intern
350PDX is building a diverse grassroots movement to solve the climate crisis. In our short six-year history, we’ve grown to a core group of 150 activists working in coordinated teams, including 5 Campaign Teams, to build a statewide movement for climate action at local and state levels. We’re growing our collective power and have seen an incredible surge in momentum for bold climate action in Portland and Oregon.
People are looking to plug into our organization and join the movement. And there is so much to do! But with growth comes financial demands; building our fundraising capacity and our organizing capacity must go hand-in-hand.
Join 350PDX as a development intern and learn all about our climate justice work, while learning critical research, marketing, writing, and fundraising skills. Serve with the Development Coordinator and Coordinator of Grants and Evaluation on a wide range of activities to hone your skills. This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience with a professional staff in an enthusiastic, community-based non-profit climate justice organization.
Possible Intern Activities
- Assist in the donor profile maintenance in accordance with our major donor / sustaining member campaign
- Help create promotional content and manage social media for our two large end of year fundraising campaigns, including Give!Guide
- Research potential business partners / sponsors
- Assist in the updating of processes and procedures, contact lists and archived materials
- Assists with Thank You Note writing and mailing procedure
- Aid the Development Coordinator in organizing development volunteers
- Assist in planning and coordinating our Give!Guide fundraising event
- Research and compile list of potential granters using GrantStation
- Learn how to use our grant management software by updating calendars, contacts and other grant-related materials
- Assist in the creation of a funder outreach plan
- Assist the Coordinator of Grants and Evaluation in writing grant copy
Skills/experience you may learn or develop:
- Event planning
- Fundraising campaign coordination
- Strategic planning for fund development
- Donor Relations
- Grant writing
- Donor and grant research
- Small nonprofit operations
- Data tracking / management
- You will also have the opportunity to build connections with people involved in Climate Justice organizing, local businesses, partner organizations and more
The commitment will be 10-20 hours per week starting in mid-September 2019 for 10-12 weeks, with flexibility for school schedules. Please specify the time period during which you seek to intern. The intern is expected to be at the 350PDX office during regular work hours and optionally attend weeknight and weekend community organizing meetings or events. Changes to this plan are to be agreed upon in advance between the Intern and their supervisors.
- Previous grant writing experience is preferred but not required
- Prior development or event planning experience is preferred but not required
- Candidate must demonstrate excellent writing and research skills
- Commitment and passion for climate justice
- Proficient in basic computer programs: LibreOffice, Google Drive/Office suite
- Ability to work well independently and in a flexible environment
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work proactively within a team as well as independently
- Self starter, able to think creatively to solve problems
- Spanish or other non-English language fluency
- Desire for systemic change
- Prior experience with grassroots and/or student organizing
- Graphic Design skills
If you’re interested, please apply on our website here and attach a copy of your resume. Thank you!