Sorry, this position is not currently available.
Community and Campaign Organizing Intern
The Community & Campaign Organizing Intern (intern) will assist the Volunteer & Communications Coordinator (supervisor) with all aspects of their work, including campaign, community organizing, and office work.
350PDX is building a diverse grassroots movement to solve the climate crisis. In our short three-year history, we’ve grown to a core group of 250 activists working in coordinated teams, including 5 Campaign Teams, to build a statewide movement for climate action at local and state levels. We’re growing our collective power and have seen an incredible surge in momentum for bold climate action in Portland and Oregon.
The Community and Campaign Organizing Intern will work closely with the Volunteer Coordinator to support grassroots organizing for 350PDX Core Campaigns & Programs — Fossil Fuel Resistance, Just Transition to 100% Renewable Energy, and Divest/Reinvest — and assist with other organizing roles as needed including research, event planning, and engaging with key stakeholders. Read more about 350PDX Core Campaigns online.
There’s one option for this internship, requiring a commitment of 100 total hours
- 8-12 hours per week, October 1st through mid – December (dates are somewhat flexible)
The intern is expected to work at the 350PDX office during regular work hours and occasionally attend weeknight and weekend campaign meetings or events. Changes to this plan are to be agreed upon in advance between the intern and the supervisor.
Primary Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Assisting with skill trainings for volunteers
- Assisting in the development and distribution of educational materials
- Planning rallies, marches, film screenings, and other events
- Phoning membership to recruit and manage volunteers
- Attending meetings with coalition partners
- Facilitating meetings
- Conducting online research
- Data entry and managing NationBuilder database
- Additional projects as needed
Skills You May Learn or Develop:
- Leadership skills
- Public speaking
- Goal setting
- Event planning
- Volunteer recruitment
- Facilitating Meetings
- Public Outreach
- Grassroots organizing
- Commitment and passion for climate justice
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to work well independently and in a flexible environment
- Must be computer savvy and comfortable on the phone
- Commitment to nonviolence as a means of affecting change
- Spanish language fluency
- Desire for systemic change
- Prior experience with grassroots and/or student organizing
- Graphic design skills