Doing Good While Doing Well: How to Divest Your Investments From Fossil Fuels
Recognized expert, Erin Gray, a vice president at Green Century Funds, a pioneer capital management firm in divestment strategy, in conversation with Bryan Brumley of Progressive Asset Management, will teach you how to:
- Avoid potential financial risk;
- Align your investments with your values;
- Reinvest in clean, more sustainable solutions;
- Reduce corporate influence in climate politics.
Gray is an experienced public speaker and climate justice activist. She will explain “stranded asset risk,” which means that owning stock in fossil fuels may raise investors’ risks over the long-term. She will present evidence that fossil fuel free portfolios candeliver better results than conventional investments, and address how individual investors can divest from fossil fuels. Gray has played a leading role in preparing and popularizing the guide, “Make a Clean Break: Your Guide to Fossil Fuel Free Investing,”(referred to as “The Guide”) a joint project between 350.org, Green Century Funds, and Trillium Asset Management.
Brumley is a Certified Financial Planner ® with Progressive Asset Management, specializing in Sustainable, Responsible and Impact Investing has been working with the divest/invest team of 350PDX since its early days. Before becoming a financial adviser in 2008, he was a journalist, covering revolutions in Iran, Poland and the former Soviet Union, and the war in Bosnia.
In this workshop, you’ll walk away knowing how to make sure your portfolio contains:
- No investments in companies with proven carbon reserves;
- No investments in companies that explore for, extract, process, refine, or transmit coal, oil, or gas;
- No investments in utilities that burn fossil fuels to produce electricity.
When: Monday, October 16th. 7pm.
Where: Central Lutheran Church Fellowship Room (1820 NE 21st Ave)
This event is free and open to the public. Childcare provided.