HUGE VICTORY! From Eastern Oregon to the Coast, communities on the front lines of climate change and environmental injustice have been organizing to create good jobs in clean energy, make energy bills affordable for all, and improve health with upgrades in people’s homes through the Oregon Clean Energy Opportunity Campaign – and won!
History was made together this legislative session, and now it’s time to celebrate! Join the Energy Justice Victory Party to celebrate these hard-earned victories, hear from Legislators and frontline community members from across Oregon who were instrumental in leading us to these victories, enter the raffle to win a prize, and learn what comes next in the fight for energy justice in Oregon.
Energy Justice Victory Party!
Wednesday, July 14 from 5:30pm – 6:30pm
Virtual Zoom Event, RSVP here
Please share the event on Facebook here!
Spanish and ASL interpretation will be provided.
Enter the raffle by joining the party & you could win a prize!
Due to the incredible leadership of frontline communities across the state, 100% Clean Energy for All, the Healthy Homes Act, and the Energy Affordability Act have all been passed by the Oregon Legislature! That means:
- The Energy Affordability Act was the first to pass on March 16th, creates a low-income utility rate class so that families no longer have to choose between keeping the lights on and putting food on the table.
- The Healthy Homes bill creates a new program in the Oregon Health Authority to improve health by investing in home upgrades like energy efficiency and fire resiliency measures for low-income renters and homeowners.
- Finally, the 100% Clean Energy for All bill is the most ambitious clean energy legislation in the country, setting a commitment for Oregon’s major utilities to source 100% clean energy by 2040. This bill centers justice by ensuring tribal consultation for new clean energy projects, creating just labor standards and apprenticeships for green jobs, ensuring that frontline communities have a say in utilities’ clean energy plans, and investing in community-owned clean energy projects to ensure that people have electricity during outage events in heatwaves, fires, and other disasters.
There’s so much to celebrate, and you were a part of it!
- People from across the state met on Zoom with dozens of legislators’ offices to communicate their support for 100% Clean Energy for All!
- Community members sent over 680 hand-written postcards to legislators’ offices in support of the 100% Clean Energy for All, Healthy Homes, and Energy Affordability bills!
- Volunteers completed nearly 250 phone bank shifts, making nearly 5,000 calls to Oregonians, generating more than 250 calls into legislators
- Community advocates testified virtually before House & Senate Committees (many for the first time!)
- Dozens of community members got letters to the editor published in the Oregonian, Portland Tribune, Coos Bay World, Medford Mail Tribune, Bend Bulletin, Columbia River Gorge News, and Daily Astorian.
- And so much more!