The City of Portland is poised to pass a new policy setting a goal to meet 100% of our community wide energy needs with renewable by 2050 and 100% of our electricity needs with renewable energy by 2030!
Why does this matter? In order to meet the goals of the Paris Climate Agreement, we need rapid reductions in greenhouse gas emissions and to transition off of fossil fuels! Transitioning our energy system to clean & renewable energy is an important way to both reduce our impact on the climate and create a sustainable local economy.
Read a copy of the latest draft resolution online: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/auditor/article/636842
The Mayor and Commissioner Chloe Eudaly are championing the policy, but we need a huge turnout to ensure our Mayor and Commissioners pass the policy in its strongest form!
Here’s how you can help.
- Come to the hearing on June 1st.
- Call the Mayor and City Commissioner to express your support for 100% renewable energy (talking points and contact info below)
- Invite 5 friends to join you in supporting 100% renewable energy.
Let the City Council know you support: (Sample Talking Points:)
- A goal for 100% community wide renewable electricity by 2035
- A goal for 100% community wide energy (all sectors – electricity, transportation, heating & cooling, industrial processes) to be 100% renewable by 2050
- Renewable energy solutions that are rooted in equity and social justice
- Thank them for their strong leadership on a rapid transition to clean energy!
Update: It’s very important that we share a common understanding of what is and what is not “renewable energy.” As the date for June 1 hearings and votes fast approaches, industry has pushed back hard on decision makers who agree with us. They pushed so hard that, on May 16th, one of the most critical clauses was deleted from proposed resolutions.
The “disappeared” clause:
WHEREAS, “renewable energy” specifically excludes energy derived from fossil fuels, nuclear, non-residential biomass, incineration of municipal and medical waste, and any large-scale future hydroelectric development;
We need your help to get it back!
Please call City Council!
Mayor Ted Wheeler: email@example.com | 503-823-4120
Commissioner Amanda Fritz: Amanda@portlandoregon.gov | 503-823-3008
Commissioner Chloe Eudaly: Chloe@portlandoregon.gov |503-823-4682
Commissioner Nick Fish: firstname.lastname@example.org | 503-823-3589
Commissioner Dan Saltzman: email@example.com | 503-823-4151