The deadline for this action has passed, but please visit our action page to find current opportunities.
The stimulus package has been passed, but with only $1,200 going to each person, roughly equivalent to 1-2 weeks wages, it’s not going to be enough to get us through this crisis, and emerge on the other side in a better position to tackle our economic, health and climate crises. Join us today to demand a #PeoplesBailout and #PeopleNotPolluters!
It’s time to fight to make sure the wellbeing of people is put over the profits of polluting corporations and their executives. It’s time for a People‘s Bailout. Join us today to demand a #PeoplesBailout and #PeopleNotPolluters!
350PDX is one of over 500 groups across the country who are advocating for these 5 Principles for a Just COVID-19 Stimulus and Relief. We’re all coming together to echo these demands online and by flooding Washington D.C with calls. Can you join us?
Here are two concrete ways you can participate with us today:
- Share the #PeoplesBailout and #PeopleNotPolluters hashtags on social media with a message about the need to support workers and communities, rather than giving an unconditional handout to fossil fuel corporations.
- Call your Representative throughout the day to leave voicemails and make your voice heard.
This moment in history is forcing us to make stark choices about what kind of society we want to be. Do we want to continue prioritizing greed and CEOs by bailing out corporations? Or do we want to use this moment as an opportunity to build a society that works for all people? We know where we stand. Let’s fight for it.
Dineen, Kelli, and Jeremiah from the 350PDX Fossil Fuel Resistance Team
Sample tweets and posts:
- We need a #PeoplesBailout that prioritizes workers and communities, not corporate executives.
- We need a #PeoplesBailout where health is the top priority, for all people, no exceptions. #COVID19 #PeopleNotPolluters
- The fracking industry is trying to take advantage of the #coronavirus crisis to get major handouts for the industry. This bailout should go to #PeopleNotPolluters.
- In 2008, banks got bailed out, people got sold out. We don’t need to repeat that disastrous mistake. No fossil fuel bailout, we need a #PeoplesBailout. #
- We can’t let the #coronavirus crisis fuel the #ClimateCrisis. Bailouts should be going to working families, not fossil fuel industry CEOs. #PeopleNotPolluters #PeoplesBailout
- Find graphics to share with your tweets here.
Call your US Representative in Congress!
Not sure who your Representative is? No worries! Use our tool to quickly find out.
Rep. Earl Blumenauer, OR District 3. 503-231-2300
Rep. Suzanne Bonamici, OR District 1. 503-469-6010
Rep. Kurt Schrader, OR District 5. 503-557-1324
Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler, WA District 3. 360-695-6292
My name is _______ and I live in ______. I’m calling because we need a just COVID-19 stimulus package now, not another bailout for fossil fuel billionaires and corporate executives.
As policymakers take steps to ensure immediate relief and long-term recovery, it is imperative that they consider the interrelated crises of wealth inequality, racism, and ecological decline, which were in place long before COVID-19, and now risk being intensified. This is a time to be decisive in saving lives, and bold in charting a path to a genuinely healthier and more equitable future through a just recovery.
A just stimulus package will:
- Ensure health is the top priority for ALL people with no exceptions
- Provide economic relief directly to the people, especially low income workers and the poor
- Provide financial assistance directly to workers not corporate executives
- Make a downpayment on a regenerative economy while preventing future crises
- Protect our democratic process while protecting each other
Choices being made right now will shape our society for years, if not decades to come. I hope you will do the right thing and invest in a just and equitable future for all people. Thank you.