Accessibility Committee: Volunteer Opportunity
If you would like accommodations in order to access the following volunteer position description please contact Anissa firstname.lastname@example.org or 971-377-4882.
Accessibility and inclusivity for the 350PDX community (volunteers, staff, and board members) has not been an organizational priority in the past. As part of our Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) Plan, 350PDX intends to begin to shift away from this history in order to provide a more accessible organizing community for people with disabilities and people who have a primary language other than English.
The goals of the Accessibility Committee is to form and shape an Accessibility Policy and/or Accessibility Plan for 350PDX to launch in 2021. This policy will be reviewed and approved by the JEDI Team, before being approved by the volunteer-led Leadership Council and then the Board. Time and day of meetings will be set through a doodle poll before the first committee meeting.
Please send 1-3 paragraphs about your interest, your identity, and any questions you may have about this opportunity to Anissa at email@example.com. If you have a resume or a cover letter, that would be great to see as well!
Commitment Timeline: March 2020 – October 2020, possibly extending into December, 2020 if necessary
Hours per week: 3-5 hours per month. If you are a working person, we are willing to talk about your schedule to make it work for you!
Number of positions available: 5 – 10
Primary duties include:
- Attend monthly 1.5-hour meetings at 350PDX in person or via Google Hangouts or dial-in numbers
- Collaborate with other committee members over email, phone, and text between meetings on creating an Accessibility Policy
- Ask staff and JEDI volunteers for assistance as necessary
- Build connections between 350PDX, disability. and immigrant communities as appropriate
Additional and possible duties or roles include:
- Researching creative solutions to accessibility at 350PDX
- Ensuring perspectives of person who identifies as disabled or living with a disability and individuals whose primary language is not English are represented at the Accessibility Committee, either through lived experiences or through direct consultation with those communities
- Writing and editing the Accessibility Policy
- Communicating with 350PDX volunteers, staff, and board about their ideas
- Organizing files related to the Accessibility Committees on 350PDX’s Google Drive
- Setting agendas for Accessibility Committee meetings
- Facilitating Accessibility Committee meetings
- Additional duties based on the needs of the Accessibility Committee!
- Experience in accessibility solutions to ensure disability justice and eliminate xenophobia
- Experience in collaboration, facilitation, and working with others in community organizing settings
- Experience in multicultural, multigenerational organizing spaces
- Interest in growing understanding of accessibility from many different perspectives
- Lived experience as a person whose primary language is not English or a person who identifies as disabled or living with a disability
- Experience in writing organizational policies for nonprofits
- Training during first meeting on JEDI principles in relationship to the climate crisis
- Ongoing support from 350PDX staff and JEDI Team
- Share information about upcoming opportunities for community trainings on accessibility
Location: Central Lutheran Church, 1820 NE 21st Avenue, 350PDX offices
Do you have any questions about this opportunity?
Please reach out to Anissa at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest, and no question is a bad question!