Flood JPMorgan Chase CEO with Letters!
Join climate activists across the country to flood Jamie Dimon with a 1000+ letters! Dimon is the CEO of Chase Bank — the biggest funder of the fossil fuel industry and the LARGEST US funder of the hideous Jordan Cove pipeline project. He will receive at least 1000 letters sent all at the same time to his home address demanding that Chase immediately stop funding new fossil fuel projects (arctic drilling, new pipelines, etc.) and make a plan to eliminate funding of current fossil fuel projects by 2030. Deadline for getting the letters to 350PDX is January 17.
What to do:
- Print copies of this sample letter to Jamie Dimon (or write your own letter!) — maybe you need 1 or 100 copies.
- Take copies of the letter to meetings, gatherings, etc. and ask people to sign the letter. People can add their own message, drawings, or emojis, to the letter! PLEASE HAVE THE PERSON SIGNING PRINT THEIR NAME AND ADDRESS BELOW THE SIGNATURE.
- Once you have collected the signed copies of the letter(s), get those letters to Jenifer Schramm, on the Divest Team by dropping them off or mailing them to Dineen at the 350 office (1820 NE 21st Ave, Portland, OR 97212). We will put the letters in envelopes, address and stamp, and send them all on the same day to create the “flood.” If you need letters picked up, or have any questions, email email@example.com.
Want to do more?
- Set a Goal and Make a List – To address the scale of the climate crisis we need to dream big. How many letters do you think you can send? Set a goal and make a list of all the friends, family, and co-workers that you could get to write letters to meet your goal.
- Host a Letter Writing Party – It’s always more fun to do things in a group! You can host a letter writing party or include it as a group activity in a meeting.
- Take a Photo and Share it on Social Media – Sharing your efforts with your social network helps inspire others to take action for the climate. Take photos of you or others writing letters and share it on social media with the tag #DefundClimateChange. If you don’t use social media you can email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Want more info?
- Read about Chase’s involvement in expanding fossil fuels and the movement to help Chase divest.
- Read the Bill McKibben article “Money Is the Oxygen on Which the Fire of Global Warming Burns” (Sept 2019)