The City / County Watchdog team works to make sure we have local climate plans and policies that:
- Follow climate justice principles
- Engage and build trust with the community, esp. frontline communities
- Are fully resourced (staff and money)
- Have transparent, accountable metrics and processes
- Are enforceable (have teeth)
- Are ambitiously implemented (like the Portland Clean Energy Fund implementation process)
- Are supported by local and state code/policy changes
- In the year ahead, our team will continue advocating frontline community priorities and demanding action and resources on scale with the Climate Emergency that was declared. This includes monitoring the implementation of a new climate justice governance structure and pushing for full funding in next year’s budget cycle.
- We will share updates with the community and opportunities to engage so that we can all hold our local leaders accountable and ensure that we move toward climate justice.
- Update the team’s strategic plan with a stronger racial/social justice lens – work out how the team can act as a better co-conspirator to frontline communities
- Diving deep into the policies and plans
- Reviewing and providing comments on draft resolutions and progress reports
- Working in coalition with community partners
- Meeting with city and county staff
- Helping to mobilize the community to show up and testify at public hearings
Join the Team
Our small but steady group started in 2018 and is usually around 6-10 people. We’ve gone completely online since the pandemic started, and we’ve also been diving deep into anti-racism topics to reevaluate how our work can be rooted in justice.
Fill in the volunteer form to get more involved in 350PDX.
Office: 1820 NE 21st Ave. (Central Lutheran Church enter on Hancock St) Portland, OR 97212
Office Phone: (503) 281-1485