Brooklyn Climate Action Team
Who are we?
We are a group of neighbors in the Brooklyn neighborhood, in SE Portland. We are concerned about the climate crisis. We are taking action for our neighborhood’s future by supporting long-term solutions and building community.
Two Focus Areas:
1. Harness our neighborhood’s power.
- Fight for regional and structural changes that none of us can take on alone, like passing citywide policy changes, or shutting down fossil fuel projects. Some actions we take:
- Build popular support for climate action – educate our community, gather petition signatures, flyer the neighborhood
- Grow the movement – recruit new neighbors, train folks up on activism skills
- Take action – testify at City Hall, contact our elected officials, nonviolent direct action
2. Support our neighborhood.
- As the climate changes around us, we need to look after each other and build a more resilient neighborhood. Some actions we take:
- Watching each other’s backs during extreme weather
- Sharing resources like tools, time, and knowledge with each other
- Getting to know our neighbors – through block parties, gathering petition signatures, or just doorstep conversations
- Stay updated – Join our email list to get one or two action alerts a month
- Join the team – Join our meetings every other Thursday 7pm at The Chomp, or join our Slack