We are deeply concerned about the shoot to kill order against Cordillera Peoples Alliance (CPA) Chairperson, Mr. Windel Bolinget, following a trumped-up case of murder filed against, by a police officer in a court in Tagum City, Davao Del Norte, Philippines in 2020. Bolinget and ten other individuals are accused of killing Garito Tiklonay Malibato on March 21, 2018, in Barangay Gupitan, Kapalong, Davao del Norte.
We urge the Philippine Department of Justice (DOJ), Commission on Human Rights (CHR), and National Commission on Indigenous Peoples (NCIP) to:
1. Take actions to immediately drop the trumped-up murder case against Windel Bolinget.
2. Conduct an urgent, thorough and independent investigation on the attacks against Windel Bolinget and the Cordillera Peoples Alliance and hold accountable those responsible for the
3. Provide protection and ensure the security of Windel Bolinget and his family, and leaders and members of the Cordillera Peoples Alliance who are currently subjected to intensified attacks by the military and police through red-tagging, political vilification, threats, harassment, intimidation, and extrajudicial killings.
4. Ensure access to justice for Windel Bolinget.
5. Stop the attacks against indigenous activists and human rights defenders, and uphold human rights and international humanitarian law.